WorldSkills 2017 was held in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, from October 15 – 18, 2017. I provided in depth coverage and observations on my personal weblog throughout this event.
For those who are curious, the first web design competition was held as part of WorldSkills in 2001 in Korea. There were 3 competitors. Subsequent WorldSkills web competitions are listed below:
- 2003 – 11 competitors participated in web design at the 37th WorldSkills in Switzerland.
- 2005 – this competition was held in Finland.
- 2007 – 20 competitors participated in WorldSkills in Japan.
- 2009 – This competition was held in Canada.
- 2011 – This competition was held in London and marked the first time a virtual server was used.
- 2013 – This competition was held in Leipzig. This was also the first competition that WebProfessionals.org participated with both an expert (Bill Cullifer) and a competitor.
- 2015 – This competition was held in Brazil. Again, WebProfessionals.org participated by training the US competitor (Nick Taylor). The invited US Web Design expert was Mark DuBois.
This year, the US competitor was Riley Johnson. Again, the invited US expert in web design and development was Mark DuBois.
There were 4 gold medal winners at this event. They are listed below (along with their countries).
- Dongwook Huh, Korea
- Hok Kin Fong, Macao, China
- Konstantin Larin, Russia
- Emil Von Watternwyl, Switzerland
Congratulations to the winners and all who participated in this event. It is quite an honor to participate as either a competitor or invited expert.