Who: SkillsUSA Web Design and Development Members – this virtual contest is by invitation and is exclusive to SkillsUSA Web Design students. NOTE: The 2020 Web Design Challenge is open to ALL SkillsUSA high school and community college Web design students in every U.S. state.
- Since this is a “Virtual” contest. competing teams ( one web designer and one web developer for a team of two) will need to coordinate the team logistics, have access to the internet and comfortable workstations.
What: This summer’s Web Design Challenge event is a “real-world client” project that will allow you to demonstrate your Web design, development and business skills.
When: June 22-25, 2020 – NOTE: A daily schedule has been drafted (see below) by the event organizing committee. Additional details will be provided upon completion of registration.
Where: The Technical committee at Webprofessionals.org to provide unique url and login ID and credentials for the challenge after registration.
Why participate? The 2020 Web Design Challenge offers a chance for students to gain substantial experience, showcase skills, analyze and evaluate outcomes and uncover personal aptitude. Participating students will have an opportunity to work with industry Web professionals and will have ample opportunity for brainstorming sessions to solve real world client needs which may not be available to practice in schools or colleges.
Other benefits of participating include:
- Polish up your Resume
- Showcase your Skills
- Gain recognition
- Stand out from the crowd
- Win awards and prizes
- Make new friends
- Establish or add to a portfolio (highly desired by potential employers)
Challenge Goals: As a part of the 2020 Web project challenge, your task is to help the client promote their organization’s brand. Your work order will include task like developing a Web presence and marketing campaign to their current and potential subscriber base. There will be a number of specific deliverables you will share with the potential client so that they understand your knowledge, your approach, and solution.
Note: Due to the constraints of the virtual nature of this years challenge and the limits on the judging process, you will not be asked to create a fully functional website. Rather, your assignment with the client will seek to communicate how you can best help with their design, development and messaging, And equally important, whether or not they would like to contract with you regarding future contract work. Your goal is to demonstrate your Web resin and development skills while earning the clients trust and their future business!
Challenge Task: Specific task includes the following:
- Meet the client and learn about the message they want to promote
- Restate and affirm to the client their requirements as you know them
- Brainstorm with your team how your website design and development can help solve the client’s problem
- Design the look and feel for your website concept to support the client’s messaging
- Provide a wireframe sketch to communicate the layout of your website design skills to your client
- Demonstrate your creativity and concept by creating a 3-5 minute video to showcase your ideas, get the client to see your vision for their campaign and ask the client to hire you!
Required skills: Each team will be asked to complete a series of challenges that will test the following: NOTE: A detailed client work order will be provided the day of the contest
- Creativity Web Design and layout skills
- Web development and technology skills
- Visual and Communication
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Agility and adaptability
- Initiative and entrepreneurial skills
- Ability to review and respond to requirements documents
- Presentation skills
Schedule of events: The itinerary for the 2020 Web design challenge is as follows:
- June 22nd, 2020 Challenge kick off. Contestants will have access to a series of 5 min educational videos provided by the Web Design Challenge technical committee. Participants can work at their own pace and at anytime during the day or night but this is a requirement to participate in the 2020 Challenge. NOTE: You will be quizzed on the material. You’ll be able to ask questions to the organizing committee at any time by email, or chat.
- June 23rd, 2020 Online orientation and training – A set of pre recorded video will be provided for participants. You can work any time during the day or night and at your own pace. However, it is a requirement that you participate in the challenge orientation and training. You will also be asked some questions regarding the material provided in a short quiz. You’ll be able to ask questions to the organizing committee at any time by email, or chat.
- June 24th, 2020 The Web Design challenge day will kick off at a designated online “url” and secure web location at 8am CST on June 24th. The challenge will end at 4pm CST. NOTE:
- June 25th, 2020 Judges will review content work submissions and tally the results.
- June 26th, 2020 Winners and awards will be announced on Friday June 26th by 6pm CST.
Ready to Participate?
Challenge participation requirements: To register or inquire please complete the contact us form below. NOTE: Points will be added to your score for following directions. A skillet high in demand by employers.
- Please provide us your full name and email address
- In the subject line enter Web Design Challenge
- Comments section: please also let us know your city and state (no addresses please)
- A brief summary about your skill level and areas of Web design or development training
- Name of SkillsUSA State Director
- Your interest areas in Web design and development. For example, do you prefer website aesthetics or code? Or maybe you like to design and to develop both?
- What grade are you in high school or year at community college
- Any questions, you can ask them too.
Note: We read every question and it may take us a while so please be patient. We will respond and we will develop a FAQ page.so others may benefit.
Comments or questions are welcome.